Both lemons and limes are similar tropical fruits. Even though they have similar taste, shape and nutritional value, they differ by a lot.
Limes are named Citrus aurantifolia while lemons are known as Citrus Lemon. Limes can be sweet or bitter and usually, their taste depends on the variety, unlike the lemons which are sour in taste.
The Main Differences between Lemons and Limes
– Limes are better for cocktails because they have a more bitter taste than lemons
– Limes have a lower pH and are therefore more acidic in taste than lemons
– Lemon juice has a pH between 2.00 and 2.60, whereas the juice of lime has a pH between 2.00 and 2.35
– Lime contains more carbs and less protein in comparison to lemon
– Lemons have an oval shape whereas limes are round
– Limes have 29 mg of vitamin C and lemons 53 mg
– Limes are rich in vitamin A while lemons are abundant in folic acid and potassium
– Though they are acidic in taste, they have an alkaline pH and both fruits have limonoids that fight off cancerous cells
– Lemons and limes can be very effective in removing inflammatory toxins and in treating diabetes and cancer
Taste Of Lemon and Lime
Lemons have a sweeter flavor than limes due to their higher content of sugar. Limes, on the other hand, have a bitter taste which makes them ideal for cocktails.
Eating pure lemon or drinking lime juice may not be a pleasant experience, so this is the main reason why they are often mixed with other ingredients or drinks.
Contains similar content of nutrients
When comparing limes and lemons, the weight itself reveals that these are almost impossible to differentiate in nutritional values. Both have nearly 30 calories and 2.8 grams of dietary fiber and 2-3% of vitamin B-9 intake that weighs to nearly 1.5 times of half mug peeled lemon. Even though, the lime has (to some extent) more carbohydrates, and less protein when compared to lemons, these dissimilarities present little effect on your everyday intake.
Make a cocktail as per your use
Lemons and limes hold an important place in adding to the drinks and cocktails in the form of simple syrup. If you are very passionate and a professional in designing a drink or a cocktail, you need to know the consistency of citric acid in limes and lemons based upon which you can add it to the cocktail to enjoy the taste. You can try making a sweet and sour cocktail with the changes using lime and lemon as this process is creative and good to follow anytime in future.
Health benefits of lime and lemon
Limes and lemons have good antioxidants and anti cancer properties and for this reason the inclusion of lime juice was a part of everyday life and diet of people in West Africa, where cholera epidemics took place. Researches began to conduct experiments by adding lime juice to the mush eaten with rice and finally found to have strong and protective result to fight cholera and other viral diseases.
Which is better for health?
Lemons have a slight edge in terms of nutrients, taste, and versatility in cooking and beverages. Limes do have high concentrations of vitamin C and other antioxidants and can be used in many ways in cooking and cocktail-making.
However, while both of these fruits are very good for overall health.